Saturday, July 26, 2008

Separate ways

Hey there gang-

So, I'm in the midst of a liquid lunch on a lazy Saturday and thought I might bring you up to speed on the week's happenings (or lack thereof). Runs since my last update are a Tuesday 6 miler, and Wednesday-Friday 3 milers. They're still just Central Park loops- I'll start including more pics when the runs get more spectacular. Back in the LES, I used to do bridge runs over the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Willyburg, but my best transatlandic options these days involve short trips to the South Bronx. Despite my recent investment in a more eclectic lifestyle (I saw The Dark Knight at the Magic Johnson AMC on 125th the other day), I'm going to have to build up to the Willis Ave. bridge.




I'm still a day behind my schedule, and need to do a long run tomorrow. Expect a beer tally too come Sunday-Mondayish.

Complicating matters is the Cotto-Margarito fight tonight. These guys should really kick the crap out of each other. Come to Petrov's- should be good. If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch this for a primer.




I think we all need to take a moment of silence, as my man Casey Blake played well enough this year to provide value return on a deadline deal from the Tribe to to the Dodgers. Few of you know who this guy is, and for good reason- he's a middling third baseman / outfielder who (now formerly) plays for a last-place baseball team. He's also a guy that played 8 years of minor -league ball before getting a shot to play third on a (then-rebuilding) Indians squad and turned himself into a ballplayer. He's a good guy, too. Sure, if you had 9 Casey Blakes playing for you, you'd probably suck. That's not the point. I liked Casey, even if Cleveland didn't. Best of luck to the Blakester in LA.



I became aware of this via random linkage this week. It's available at Wal-Mart. Now, I don't approve of Wal-Mart, as I believe it to be quintessentially un-American to shop there; I also don't believe in overpriced junk tech marked up via branding coalitions with long irrelevant rock bands; however, were someone to buy this for me, I might crap myself with joy.

Finally, since I can only link and not embed (thanks SonyBMG!), here's something to bring it home. You can thank me later.

Thanks to those donating to St. Vinny's on my behalf since my last captain's blog. Have a great weekend!

No comments: