Monday, July 21, 2008

I quit

Kidding! I won't be quitting for a few more days yet. ;) I'd like to informally thank everyone who's donated something, small or large, to my latest Vision Quest and St. Vincent's Hospital. I also appreciate the support of those who have joined my Facebook group. If you haven't yet- why not? Don't cost nuthin'.

Let's take a look and see where I ran last week:


So, Monday and Sunday I ran from 118th to the north side of the Jackie Onassis Reservoir, across the top end, and back up, while on Wednesday and Friday I ran around it and back up. I managed to run 4 days of the seven, which is good; I had to skip Thursday and run Friday instead because of Funtana's bday bash, so I'm a day behind my overall schedule. This week I intend to run Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Saturday, to get myself back on track.

Something occurred to me as I was slugging beers this past Saturday night- I think I ought to have more tangible training goals than just "be able to run for a half hour without vomiting." So I've decided to do something that could be potentially horrifying for everyone, including me: I'm going to track the proportion of drinks consumed to miles run on a weekly basis. I feel that ideally the latter would consistently eclipse the former. Let's see how we did this week.

Miles run: 16 (Assumption is my short run is 3.5 miles, while the longer run is 4.5.)

Drinks consumed:
Thursday- The Funtana Birthday at the Maritime Hotel precluded my evening running schedule. I had it in my head that I would leave by 10pm so I could wake up early and run in the a.m. Of course, By 10 I had consumed 3 beers (1 Heiny, 2 Amstels) and was walking over to Popburger for a couple of sliders and a Tecate. After a Sierra Nevada in the back bar and a muted viewing of "Pumping Iron" with the Governator and Lou Ferrigno, I shot over to the Hog Pit for one or two more drinks with the Birthday Girl. I'll conservatively say I had 3 PBRs while (poorly) playing Big Buck Hunter with Doyle.
Tally: 7 beers

Friday: Riddled with guilt, I ran Friday night after blowing off my intended morning run (due to my 2am bedtime.) Despite some peer pressure from Frisbie, I managed to stick to my guns and stay in.
Tally: 0 Beers. (Yeah!)

Saturday: Ugh. Two Bud Heavy tall boys at Petrov's followed by dinner at Kenka on St. Mark's. Over the raw fish, three people split two bottles of sake and a pitcher of Sapporo. Unfortunately, I was one of those three people, and another was a 100-pound Asian girl. On to the Cherry Tavern after dinner, I participated in no fewer than two Tijuana Specials, the shot of Tequila with a can of Tecate. I capped the night having a beer with Fris at Angels & Kings.
Tally: Approx. 14 drinks. Yikes. At least I ran on Sunday.

Week's Damage: 16 Miles run, 21 drinks consumed. I lose week 1. The only mitigating circumstance is that I didn't come up with this tracking idea until Sunday meditation (aka hangover nurture time.)

An inauspicious start, for sure. We'll be looking to improve over Week 2. Thanks again for your support, and check in regularly!

No comments: